Recipes for a truly healthy Summer Barbecue!
With Graduation season here, Mothers’ day in a few weeks and Summer right around the corner, its about time to fire up the grill! If you are trying to eat healthier but don’t want to miss out on barbecue parties in the backyard here are some health conscious recipes to help you out…
Summer Pasta Salad
1 pound dry pasta
1 small yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 small red bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 small orange bell pepper, seeds removed and diced
1 large seedless cucumber, chopped
1 (12 oz) jar artichoke hearts in water, drained and chopped
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1 cup store bought balsamic dressing (use your favorite brand)
½ cup sliced almonds
1/3 cup finely chopped basil
Salt and black pepper, to taste
· Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente; drain, then rinse with cold water to cool.
· In a large bowl, combine pasta, peppers, cucumber, artichoke hearts, and tomatoes. Pour the balsamic dressing over the pasta salad and gently stir to combine. Add the almonds and basil and stir again. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
Black bean burgers
2 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup diced red onion
1/2 cup diced bell pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1 jalapeño, minced
2 cups black beans
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup flour
· In a saucepan over medium heat, in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, sauté the onion, bell pepper, garlic, and jalapeño for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
· In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans, then add the sautéed vegetables, corn, and bread crumbs and mix well. Season with cumin, cilantro, and salt and mix again.
· Shape into 6 patties, then coat each in flour.
· Place a pan over medium-high heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Cook each patty for about 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned.
1 cup coconut oil or Earth Balance brand margarine
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp. minced parsley
1 Tbsp. minced basil
1 Tbsp. minced chives
Cayenne pepper (optional)
4 garlic cloves, crushed
6 ears corn, husked
· In a small container, combine the margarine, salt, pepper, parsley, basil, chives, and garlic. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
· Spread the herbed margarine over the corn, covering completely. Wrap in aluminum foil and grill for 15 to 20 minutes, turning often, until cooked thoroughly. Great on its own or add to salsa or salad!
Avocado Lime Popsicles
2 ripe avocados, diced
1 cup warm water
½ cup agave syrup
3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
Pinch of salt
· Dissolve agave nectar in warm water; pour into blender pitcher. Add avocados, lime juice, and salt to blender; blend until smooth. Pour avocado mixture into ice pop molds to about 1/3 inch from the top.
· Freeze until completely solid, about 6 hours.